Forecast May Call For Baking


He told me he loved me.


Who knew making the little boy grilled cheese with some bacon on cinnamon raisin Ezekiel Bread was the key to his heart?

Now don’t get your panties in a bunch about me suddenly having bacon in the house.


It just so happens that I had an Applegate coupon to use and decided there was nothing wrong with keeping their Turkey Bacon in the freezer for the occasional breakfast treat for the boy. And just maybe, if I want to admit it, I break out the bacon so that he thinks I am cool.

In case you are looking for the key to my heart by the way, I am pretty simple; that key can be found in a slice of chocolate cake. Or a jar of Mighty Maple peanut butter.

The key to my house yesterday morning could be located somewhere inside one of the many pockets I had on me after bundling up to run in the 23 degree early morning air.


Clearly the thermometer is challenging me, but I am ready. As long as there is little to no wind, I will bundle on up to avoid that treadmill as often as possible.

As I ran, I laughed to myself from beneath my scarf watching all of my neighbors warming up their cars to leave for work.

Actually, I didn’t see my neighbors. What I witnessed was a series of empty cars being automatically started because no one was brave enough to come outside and sit in a cold car.

And there I was, running.

If you don’t run outdoors in winter, perhaps you think I am crazy but I swear to you, wearing all of these layers truly keeps you warm.


I was not the slightest bit cold, if anything, I may even have experienced feeling a tad hot.

So. Weekend time. Another opportunity for snow, ice, sleet and/or rain.

The weather isn’t supposed to get all icky on us until later on tomorrow morning which means my long run shouldn’t be affected.

I am sure the grocery stores will be packed today so the smart cookie that I am went to Trader Joe’s yesterday.


The best part was scoring a super large bag of the Organic Carrots of Many Colors. I am convinced this bag is much bigger than the last.


I get excited for things like this. Don’t you?

While I am hopeful that the weather mess doesn’t keep me stuck indoors, in the outside chance it does, I have been busy pinning a bunch of new recipes to try out.

What I love about  my pins on Pinterest is that most of them come from bloggers I follow, meaning we can trust that the recipes will come out as amazing as they look.

Like these soft and Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies  and these Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies – I may have to make one or both of these over the weekend, snowed in or not.

And wait, I totally forgot to tell you that the little boy and I made Magic Cookie Bars last weekend because he needed to bake up a treat to bring with him somewhere.


Sometimes known as 7-Layer bars, my version came from reviewing a bunch of Magic Cookie Bars recipes over at the blog, Love From The Oven.

If you are wondering why you see a jar of Skippy in place of my favorite Peanut Butter & Co. Peanut Butters, it is because I keep the giant jar of Skippy Natural on hand for baking.

Only if you have the key to my heart do I share my Crunch Time or Mighty Maple. And even then you are pushing your luck.


Is it supposed to snow by you this weekend?

Have you tried out any new recipes worth sharing?





Author: The Cookie ChRUNicles

Hi! I'm Meredith. Join me while I run and cook my way through single motherhood. It is always an adventure trying to teach my 12 year old son the benefits of an active lifestyle combined with healthy eating while of course, still leaving room for dessert.

18 thoughts on “Forecast May Call For Baking”

  1. I’m a avoiding the forecast because I just don’t want to know! But based on my location there is a 90% chance there will be snow this weekend and the 10% is if it’s too cold to snow. ergiegegueghibve CANADA. brrrr. Come bake for me! Or at least bring me a jar of PB & co because I am not completely craving!

  2. My mom makes 7 layer bars around the holidays and they are so yummy!!!! As for running in the cold, I’ve decided it’s just not or me 😉 haha I’ll be sticking to indoor fitness classes!

  3. Snow yesterday, snow today, snow tomorrow… That’s Canada for ya 😆 But I don’t mind it -too- much as long as it’s not ridiculously cold — whiiiiich it usually is, unfortunately. Needless to say, we get more than our fair share of baking weather — so much so that I think I need to take a break to prevent the inevitable burnout and sugar delirium that threaten to hit soon. Good thing I’m taking a trip up to the mountains this weekend — I need to get away from my kitchen!

  4. Cold and damp – typical weather for me now. I so would like to run about on the street… But at us it is too windy! I live on the bank of the gulf in St. Petersburg, Russia, and here terrible weather. It is necessary for me more than hot and sweet recipes to forget about this nightmare!

  5. Meredith, I am so with you! It’s supposed to snow tomorrow here in Jersey and I already have a shopping list in hand to hit the store for supplies. I plan to try out a pistachio cake recipe that I’ll share if all goes well! Fingers crossed! 🙂

  6. My daughter adores bacon too (also Applegate uncured)… that does look delicious, I have to admit! And those oatmeal choc chip cookies you linked to… mmm!!

  7. Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of
    thius site. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s tough to get
    that “perfect balance” between usability and visual appearance.
    I must say that you’ve done a amaziing job with this. In addition, the blog loads
    very fast for me on Chrome. Excellent Blog!

  8. I’m gone to inform my little brother, that he should also go tto see this weblog on regular basis
    to obtain updated from latest information.

  9. First off I would want to say great blog!
    I had a quick question that I’d like to ask unless you mind.
    I used to be curious to know how you will center yourself and clear your head just before writing.
    I have had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my
    thoughts out. I truly do get pleasure from writing however it just appears
    like the very first ten to fifteen minutes tend to be wasted just figuring out how
    to begin. Any suggestions or hints? Kudos!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: